Google Search

Google

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Keown - I Still Don't Like Manutd

Martin Keown has admitted that he still doesn't feel quite comfortable around Manchester United supporters because of his strong association with Arsenal football club.

Speaking ahead of the hotly anticipated FA Cup clash this afternoon, the former Gunners defender recalled his infamous 'crane' attack on Ruud van Nistelrooy during a particularly bad-blooded affair in 2003, which effectively made him public enemy number one at Old Trafford.

Despite the unsavoury nature of the incident -when Keown mocked van Nistelrooy to the point of near assault after the United striker missed a late penalty- the ex-centre-back insists that he doesn't regret anything, while acknowledging at the same time that he had crossed the line.

"You react as you see fit every day of your life," he reasoned, "and it's the same on the football field.

"We'd contained the game until [Patrick] Vieira was sent off with about 10 minutes to go, and then it was like the Alamo.

"We felt that Van Nistelrooy played a huge part in that sending-off, and we felt cheated. We felt further cheated because we didn't think it was a penalty.

"So, yes, my behaviour was not acceptable from an Arsenal point of view, but you can't take that back.

"I rang my wife after the game, and she's usually very supportive, but she said 'I think you've gone and done it now'. It was the first time she'd ever said anything like that.

"After that I tried to stay in hiding, to be honest. There was a lot of media attention I didn't want, but thankfully it didn't detract from the focus of the team," he added.

"We didn't get beaten for the rest of that season and we won the League. The manager was very, very supportive towards me, as were all the players, and I think I rewarded them for that support, even though I picked up an injury and played only a handful of games."

Keown went on to admit that there was animosity between him and the Dutch striker even before the penalty incident, but also extended what could be interpreted as an olive branch.

"Yeah, I'd paid a few fines to the FA on behalf of Mr Van Nistelrooy," he said.

"I remember once he stamped all over me, and I pushed him away. That cost me £10,000. He suggested I'd punched him in the face. Unfortunately, the camera didn't show him standing on my foot as I was pushing him away.

"Listen, we played Man United in the semi-finals of the FA Cup not that long afterwards, and I sought him out to shake his hand.

"Everyone who knows me off the pitch, knows I used to turn into something quite different on the pitch. I was able to separate the two and wanted everyone else to do the same.

"Obviously, Van Nistelrooy is an outstanding player. He's still doing well at Real Madrid, and he's someone who plays the rules to the limit. At the time I didn't quite see it that way."

Finally, the legendary Gunners defender confessed that he still feels less than fully at ease when amongst the old enemy.

"I don't feel particularly comfortable among United fans even now. Most of them are fine, but there have been a few ... situations. I don't think I'd go to Old Trafford to watch a game."

No comments: