Google Search

Google

Friday, January 18, 2008

Laursen extends stay at Villa

BIRMINGHAM, England (AFP) - Martin Laursen has agreed a new contract with Aston Villa which will keep the Danish centreback at the English club until the end of the 2009-10 season.

Laursen, 30, has been in outstanding form for Villa this season and manager Martin O'Neill voiced his delight that the uncertainty over the defender's future had been removed.

"He has become a firm favourite with the fans and I would think they are as pleased as we are that he is staying," O'Neill said. "Martin has been playing some wonderful football and he deserves everything he gets.

Former AC Milan defender Laursen was still dogged by knee problems when O'Neill took over at Villa Park in 2007, but he has been ever present in this campaign, notching up an impressive tally of six goals.

O'Neill added: "He has shown great determination and the way he has overcome a serious injury is a lesson to everyone.

"He has removed the doubts over his fitness by playing regularly this season. I am delighted, and so is everyone at the club, that he is staying."

Laursen said he had never seriously considered moving on.

"I have been saying all along that I would like to stay at Villa and I am glad this has all been agreed. I feel settled outside the pitch as well. I really enjoy staying here and have a good relationship with the manager and everyone around the club.

"I think we have a very good team and I want to play my part in helping Villa progress."

O'Neill meanwhile denied reports that he had held talks with Jermain Defoe, the England striker who has been made available by Tottenham.

No comments: