Google Search

Google

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Arsenal Must Win Something

Arsenal haven't won anything since the 2005 FA Cup and Van Persie, who has spent much of this season out injured, says he cannot face the thought of a third consecutive campaign with no silverware.

But upon making his return to the first team fold, the Dutchman has vowed to fire the Gunners to Premier League and Champions League glory this season, honours he believes the squad fully deserve.

Winning A Must

"We have to win at least one trophy this season. If we don’t, then we would have played all the fantastic football for nothing," said the striker. “This is our moment and we need to win something. We all realise we are in a fantastic position and this has to be our year.

Double Dreams

"I am not a daydreamer," he continued. "I really think we can win the title and the Champions League this season. Why not? We have the qualities so we just need to stick together and believe in it. Belief can take you very far in football."

Arsenal have stumbled to four consecutive Premier League draws, surrendering the league lead to Manchester United at the weekend, while in the Champions League they face Liverpool in the quarter-finals.

"It is still in our hands to win the double and we have to take these opportunities because we have something special here at Arsenal," Van Persie added before going on to discuss his personal fitness. “Physically I can’t play a full 90 minutes yet but I’m getting there and I just need match fitness now," said the striker, who started his first league game for five months when Arsenal took on Middlesbrough on Saturday.

More Games Needed

"I need three or four games to really get back into my stride but I will give everything I have whenever I’m out on the pitch. It has been a very frustrating season for me. It started really well but now all I ever seem to do is talk about injuries. Yet I don’t feel as though I’m an injury-prone person.

"I suffered a thigh injury in October and then I came back too soon for the Carling Cup semi-final against Spurs and was out for another two months. I take full responsibility for that. It was all my fault. I was too emotionally involved because I was desperate to play.”

Van Persie and Arsenal travel to Chelsea on Sunday.

No comments: