Google Search

Google

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Yakubu Targets Top Four

Nigerian striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni is still coming to terms with Everton’s midweek Uefa Cup exit after losing a penalty shoot-out to Serie A outfit Fiorentina.The man they call ‘The Yak’ isn’t likely to internalise his frustrations, though, not with a visit to leaky Fulham in store on Sunday.


Only Thierry Henry has scored more Premiership goals than Yakubu since the 2003/04 season. Indeed, Yakubu is looking to add to his 12 Prem strikes as the season enters its crucial phase.


Yakubu insists the Toffees are ready to put their Euro heartache behind them and have fourth-placed Merseyside rivals Liverpool firmly in their sights.


"Going out of Europe will only make us more determined to finish in the top four this season," warned Yakubu. "I have a good feeling about the Fulham game because I scored a hat-trick against them at Goodison. I can feel there are more goals in me.


"They say it was the perfect hat-trick because I scored with my left foot, my right foot and a header - but for every goal I've scored at Everton, I owe the credit to my team-mates and the manager.


"Since I came here I am fitter, faster and better.


"It is a great compliment to the people around me that I have scored more goals in the Premier League than any striker apart from Thierry Henry over the past few years. Players like Henry only come round once in a lifetime and I look up to him, but the comparison will mean nothing if we do not have anything to show for all our hard work at the end of the season.


"Liverpool are favourites to finish fourth, but Everton beat them to it three years ago and we are capable of doing it again. It would be a fantastic achievement, but I believe in my team-mates and I think they believe in me to score the goals which will take us where we want to go.


"We will keep fighting together and, don't forget, we still have to go to Anfield. We were unlucky not to get at least a point against Liverpool at our place and that will be a massive game for both clubs."


Bridge Boy



Despite recent disappointment, Yakubu is relishing his Premier League career, which has flourished at Middlesbrough and now Everton. The footballing high-life is a far cry, he admits, from his days in native Nigeria with the Bridge Boys of Julius Berger.


"I have come a long way since I left Africa and I feel blessed that my career has brought me to such a good club as Everton," he said.


"My first club was called Julius Berger, which is a big Nigerian construction company with its own team.


"They had a grass pitch - not everybody in Africa is able to play on grass - and I remember thinking I was rich when I collected my first wages, which were small.


"After only four months I was spotted by Maccabi Haifa and I went to play for them in Israel. We won the title and [current Chelsea boss] Avram Grant was my coach there.


"I have been on a long journey since those days, and to play in the Champions League next season would be a proud moment."


Reds fans will be hoping that’s a Bridge too far for the Yak.

No comments: